Monday, February 04, 2008

Don Jacobs Toyota Subaru Mitsubishi

I have recently had the most pleasant buying experience of any kind at a car dealership and on a used car no less.


On Thursday January 31st I took delivery of a 91 Camry. Jim Lemke was my salesperson. He was a good person to deal with; however the person that took this experience over the top was Mr. Tom Rust the sales manager. The Camry that I took delivery of was definitely not a Grade A used car. But I saw the mechanics notes and had a good idea of what to expect from the car. And for less than $2,000, I knew not to expect much.


Both Mr. Lemke and Mr. Rust emphasized that I was buying the car As-Is. After having been a car salesman for 3+ years, I would expect nothing less. But, Tom also told me that if I did discover a major issue that was not disclosed to me either in the safety or in the mechanics notes that I should bring it to his attention. Once again, after having sold cars for 3+ years, even if I did find a problem, I certainly wasn’t going to expect Tom or the dealership to bend over backwards.


The day after I picked the car up, I filled it with fuel and drove to Farm & Fleet to have new tires put on. When the mechanics put the car on the rack and began working on it, immediately they grabbed a fire extinguisher and some floor dry. The manager went over to the car, and then came by me. He explained that they would not work on the car because of a major gas leak from the tank. He then showed me the leak and sure enough the tank had rusted out at the seams and was leaking.


That night I went back to the Subaru dealership to inform Tom Rust of the issue. To my utter amazement, he offered to rescind the purchase of the car and give me a full refund. He also gave me the option of the dealership paying for a new tank if I were to replace it myself. Because of some of the attributes of the car, mainly a sub-100,000 mile V6 Camry, we choose to replace the tank.


As I previously stated, I sold cars for different dealerships in the Milwaukee area for more than 3 years. This was totally unexpected. I was expecting to be told that I had a tail light warranty and that I was up a river without a paddle. But Tom made things right for me. He was professional and treated me like I actually mattered. And all this for a used car that sold for under $2,000. Had I spend $40,000 I could have expected his professionalism and courtesy. But never would I have expected this from anyone in the car business on a budget car.


If you are in the market for a used or new car - Tom Rust at Don Jacobs Subaru Mitsubishi Toyota is a good person to deal with.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home