Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Joey Buona’s

My mom-in-law was in town this last weekend. My sis-in-law wanted to go to Joey’s Buona’s on Water Street. She had been there for a birthday party a few months ago and said it was really good. (She thinks Burger King is really good too though) I had never been there, so we took a chance. We were not disappointed.

Saturday’s experience was an all around winner. Great Food – Great Service – Great Atmosphere

There were 5 adults and my two rug rats in our party. We ended up order the “Family Style Dinner” It was $25 per person. The cost made me hesitant at first. But I looked at what we got and decided to take the plunge. Here is what you get for $25 a person.

Your choice of two appetizers, salads, pasta, entrees, and desserts. Everything on their menu (Menu in PDF) looked really good so it was kind of difficult to decide as a family what we wanted.

We ordered the “Soon to be famous” Italian Nachos and Toasted Ravioli for our appetizers and a Caesar and Joey’s Special for our salads. They all came at the same time.

The Italian Nachos were unique and very tasty. I don’t care for olives but I just picked those off. The Toasted Ravioli was GREAT. They disappeared really fast and that is when I became truly amazed at the value of Joey’s. The waiter (without being asked) brought another plate of the Toasted Ravioli. The waiter explained that the value of ordering Family Style Dinners is that they are never ending. They will continue to serve the appetizers until we are ready for the pasta and entrees. I was in heaven – never ending appetizers.

After gorging ourselves on appetizers we were served our pasta and entrees. We had ordered the Mushroom Ravioli Al Forno and Lasagna for the pasta choices and the Lemon Chicken and Chicken Parmesan for our entrees.

The lasagna was a tad drier than I like, but still very flavorful. The Lemon Chicken was fabulous. And the Mushroom Ravioli made me regret gorging myself on the appetizers and salad. I didn’t have room to try the Chicken Parm.

After I was done eating – the waiter asked us about desert. I wanted the ‘Big Ass’ Cannoli Martini but was out voted. We got a plate of the Chocolate Abbondanza and Italian Strawberry Shortcake. I was able to taste a small piece of each. (The sacrifices I make for this blog.) Both were very good.

The waiter did not charge us for my (19 month old) son to pick off of our plates and my (9 year old) daughter ordered her own kids meal entrée, but the waiter brought her plates for the appetizer and salad portion of the family meal. Our waiter was very friendly and personable.

I was originally worried about the kids. Both of my kids are very well behaved, but I was still concerned about going to a fancy restaurant and the length of time that we would be sitting there. Both did well and the atmosphere was not so stuffy that we were out of place when Matthew started talking to everyone. He talks a very loud gibberish and thinks he is talking. His voice just melting in with the background noise.

My only real complaint is the same with every restaurant downtown and that is the parking. I dropped the wife and kids off and then parked the trusty mini-van about a block and a half away.

Overall one of the best dinning experiences that I have had in a very long time.

2 Comments:

Blogger UR said...

I just read your joey buona's entry. I love Joey's! I haven't been in awhile, but need to make my way back before January 2nd when me and my wife go on a much-needed diet. Anyways, there lasagna is wonderful! I always get that. And the chicken parm is delicious too. It's just soo much food. I didnt know the appetizers for the family style were never-ending! Oh, and there should be $2 parking across the street at the Bank One Parking Structure after 5pm and on weekends.

Love the N List and the S List. Waiting for Ruby Tuesday to open up on 107th & Good Hope! Sure hope it's before Jan 2nd!

Charles.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charles -

I am cheap about parking. The Bank One/Chase structure was available, but they were $4. Street parking is free at night and I like that price better. I have also seen the Chase structure higher if there is a special event downtown (like a Bucks Game) then it goes up to $7-8.

A Ruby Tuesday would be worth the trip to the North Side, but I have a rule about new restuarants - I never go to a new restuarant until they have been open at least 60 days. There are too many kinks to get out those first couple of months.

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home