Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Benny's Cafe

Benny's Cafe on 27th Street between Layton and College (right next to Stein's Gardens) is on the surface the typical Greek Family restaurant (i.e. Omega, Paul's, etc) t. The menu is the same as any other Greek Family joint. Their prices are average. Where Benny's stands out is in service.

The wife and I went there last week for the first time. 75% of the time that we eat out I order an Iced Tea for my drink. I NEVER use the lemon that the waitress always brings. I used to order it with out the lemon, but waitresses have never listened and always brought it anyway. Eventually I stopped wasting my breath. I would just take the lemon out and set it off to the side.

Ohh, by the way, I drink a lot of Iced Tea. During a typical meal, I will get 6-7 refills. Every time the waitress refills my iced tea she always brings a fresh lemon wedge, even though I ordered it without. Typically halfway through the meal, I will have a small mountain of unused lemon wedges.

Anyway, when Tammy at Benny's took my drink order I didn't bother to order my tea without lemon. When she brought my drink I just removed the lemon wedge and didn't think twice. On my first refill, Tammy shocked me. She brought my second iced tea without the lemon wedge. I was taken back by her observation skills.

In ten + years of ordering iced teas at restaurants and not using the lemon wedge, that is the first time that a waitress was observant enough to not bring me more lemons. It really isn't a big deal to take the wedge out. But it is the little things that separate an average experience from an above average or excellent experience. The observation skills that Tammy showed were remarkable. She got a very nice tip that night.

Ohh and in case you were wondering, the food was average (maybe a bit better) and the prices were good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home